Senior / Junior Scientists: Gene Editing (2 positions)
Application deadline: Oct 31, 2022
About Benchmark Genetics
Benchmark Genetics is a global leader in aquaculture genetics and breeding with extensive experience from applied breeding programs for nearly 20 species across Europe, the Americas, Asia, and Africa. Besides being a significant provider of high-performing stocks of Atlantic salmon, marine shrimp (L. vannamei), and Nile tilapia to the global aquaculture sector, Benchmark Genetics supplies advanced genetic services to numerous external breeding programs around the world. Read more about what we do at www.bmkgenetics.com.
Benchmark Genetics is a member of the Benchmark Group (www.benchmarkplc.com). This leading biotechnology company uniquely combines world-leading expertise and operations in Genetics, Advanced Nutrition, and Animal Health for sustainable and cost-effective aquaculture production.
Competitive according to qualifications and experience
Full-time, working no less than 37½ hours per week
Dr Ross Houston, Director of Innovation
This position offers a unique opening to lead research and development in gene editing within Benchmark. The positions are part of an expanding Reproductive Biotechnology R&D program which focuses on achieving sterility and gene editing in salmon, shrimp, and tilapia. The postholder(s) will develop optimised methods for achieving mass delivery of gene editing, initially focused on salmon and subsequently also on shrimp and tilapia. The postholder will also take a leading role in Benchmark’s collaborative projects in the area of gene editing. The postholder will also assist with initiating and delivering projects which collaborate across the business units of genetics, health, and advanced nutrition. Finally, the postholder will connect closely with the academic and industry research community to follow recent developments in the field of gene editing and ensure Benchmark is at the forefront of this field. The successful applicant will join a growing research and development team at Benchmark Genetics, working closely with applied geneticists to implement results in practice.
Key Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
- To lead and undertake R&D in the field of gene editing in Benchmark, including:
- To develop and optimise methods for achieving mass delivery of gene editing in commercial products.
- To contribute to ongoing research and development in the related field of sterility as part of our Reproductive Biotechnology program.
- To collaborate with external research partners and across business units in gene editing projects.
- To maintain detailed knowledge of the latest developments in gene editing technologies to ensure Benchmark is at the forefront of this field.
Essential skills and qualifications:
- A university degree in a relevant field, with a PhD preferred for Senior Scientist position
- Experience and expertise in molecular and cellular biology
- Relevant experience and knowledge related to gene editing
- A strong track record of academic publication and conference participation (for Senior Scientists)
- A significant profile in the field of gene editing and/or animal genetics (for Senior Scientists)
- Creativity and ability to think outside the box
- Teamwork and problem-solving skills
- Communication skills and proficiency in spoken and written English
- Effective time management abilities
- Flexible and able to travel nationally and internationally as required
Application deadline: Oct 31, 2022
Submissions: Send cover letter, CV and contact details of two references
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for personal interviews.
For informal inquiries, please contact:
Dr Ross Houston, Director of Innovation (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell: +44 7747692391)